Mindfulness means being fully present at any given moment. If you are being mindful you are aware of your surroundings, thoughts, and feelings. Often times people find themselves living in the past (often leading towards depression) or constantly worrying about the future (often leading towards unwarranted anxiety). The 5 Senses Exercise is a quick and easy skill to get you back to the present moment:
How to do The 5 Senses Exercise:
1. Start by taking a huge breath in and notice 5 different things you can see. Maybe you notice a red couch, a white cup, or a green plant,
2. Now start to notice 5 different things you can touch. Maybe you can feel your sweater against your skin or notice the feeling of your feet firmly on the ground.
3. Now start to notice 5 things you can smell. You might notice the smell of something baking or the fresh rain outside.
4. Now start to notice 5 things you can hear. You could hear other people in conversation or someone tapping their foot on the ground.
5. Finally, notice 5 things you can taste. This one is often times the hardest but get creative. Maybe you can taste your gum or your coffee.
***If your mind begins to wonder during the exercise, as it often does, gently bring it back to one of the senses.
There you have it, a quick and easy mindfulness skill you can practice and use anywhere!
Soul Shine SLC is pleased to provide you with this site for your personal education and informational purposes, but nothing on this site constitutes a recommendation for psychiatric or medical care. Nothing found on this website (or social media pages) is intended to be a substitute for professional psychological, psychiatric or medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Soul Shine SLC assumes no liability for any diagnosis, treatment, decision made or action taken in reliance upon information contained in this website or any other internet sites linked to it in any way.